Wednesday 11 April 2012

1st Birthday and Walnut Strudel recipe

Pin It
I should begin by wishing this little blog of mine a Happy 1st Birthday. When I started it with an awkward blog post a year ago I didn't expect it to be where it is now. Through this blog I have really had the opportunity to really challenge myself and take my cooking so much further. I am really please that I have managed to succeed with some more challenging recipes like Tulumba & Macarons. I have had some great opportunities this year like writing for Explorer magazine, having a stall at Mill Road Winter Fair as well as my new job at Sticky Beaks. I feel really excited about what is in store for me for the next year. Thank you to everyone who reads and supports this blog, when I first started writing it I didn't think anyone would read it so I am extremely grateful!

Onto the recipe, this Strudla od Oraha or Walnut Strudel is something my mum made regularly when I was growing up. There are two variations, one with poppy seeds and this one with walnuts. I have slightly adapted my mum's original recipe with the addition of cinnamon and agave syrup. The dough is similar to a brioche dough and is ready to use in around 2 hours.

You will need-
For the dough
  • 1/2 tsp dry active yeast
  • 250g strong white flour plus extra for kneading
  • 1 tsp sugar
  • 25g butter, softened
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • 2 medium eggs
  • 50ml water
  • 30ml milk
For the filling
  • 100g walnuts
  • 2-3 tbsp maple syrup or agave
  • 1 tsp cinnamon

To begin, place the dough ingredients into a bread machine (on the dough setting), in a stand mixer with a dough hook or a large bowl with a good old wooden spoon. Mix till it comes into a dough and then knead for 5-10 minutes till it is smooth. Place in a warm place and cover with a tea towel and leave to rise for 30 minutes. After 30 minutes, knock the air out and knead for another 5 minutes, you may need to use more flour if the dough is very wet. Leave in a warm place for another 30 minutes.

Whilst the dough is raising for the 2nd time roast your walnuts in the oven. Keep a close eye on them as you don't want them to burn. When they're ready finely chop or blitz in your food processor. Spread it out on a tray and leave it to cool.
Preheat your oven to 180C. When the dough is ready roll it out thinly onto a floured work surface into a rectangular shape. Place your chopped walnuts and add 2 tbsp of maple syrup or agave and the cinnamon. Mix together till you get a paste, you may need to use a bit more syrup to get the right consistency. Spread the mixture across the dough and press it in lightly.

Roll the dough tightly into a cylinder and then transfer to a baking tray lined with greaseproof paper. Brush with a little milk and sprinkle with some brown sugar if you like. Bake in the oven for around 30 minutes or till golden brown. Leave to cool slightly before slicing.
Its great for breakfast as its not as sweet as cinnamon rolls. It will keep in an airtight box for a few days.

1 comment:

  1. happy birthday!! i'll definitely be making this walnut strudel. perhaps this week. growing up my grandma always made one and i never thought to make one myself till i read this, so thank you!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...