Friday 24 February 2012

Pecan, Walnut & Almond Granola with Coconut

Pin It
I have been planning on making my own granola for a long time and I don't quite know what was stopping me. I finally succumbed on monday on an impromptu day off and got making. Now I wake up every morning excited about breakfast rather than feeling like I can't be bothered. Normally on a work day I grab a cereal bar or a pot of yogurt and eat it once I get to work but now I am happy to get up that 5 minutes earlier and get stuck in. Not only is this super convenient but oh so delicious. I'm looking forward to experimenting with some other concoctions when I start to get a little sick of it but right now this is being made on the regular. I enjoy mine sprinkled on top of some fat free greek yogurt but would love to hear some other suggestions. It is also great for a little late night nibble on its own, straight from the jar!

You will need-
  • 3 cups of rolled oats- I used up the last of my Rude Health oats that I won in their breakfast competition
  • Around a cup (if not a little more) worth of a mixture of almonds, pecans & walnuts, I kept them whole
  • 1/2 cup of your favourite dried fruits
  • 1/2 cup shredded coconut
  • 1/3 cup coconut oil, if you don't have use olive oil but I thoroughly recommend getting some coconut oil
  • 1/4 cup agave, or maple syrup
  • 1/8 cup brown sugar
  • 1/2 tsp salt
To begin preheat your oven to 170C then in a large bowl mix together the oats, nuts, coconut, oil & agave and mix till everything is thoroughly combined and the oats have soaked up the oil and agave. Next add the sugar & salt and mix.
Lay the mixture in a baking tray with a large rim- I used a few smaller baking trays and flatten it down into a thin layer. 

Bake in the oven for around 30 minutes or until its golden. Mix and turn the granola every 10 minutes or so to ensure its evenly cooked. 

Cool completely and then add the dried fruit, mix well and store in an airtight container.

For a quick breakfast, add 2-3 tablespoons of yogurt in a bowl and then add a handful of granola before tucking in.
Enjoy x

1 comment:

  1. oh man, this sounds delicious! i love making granola (because i really love eating it) but i've never added any coconut to it. next time, i'm going to!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...