Monday 3 October 2011

Sataras- Bosnian Vegetable Stew

Pin It

I finally learnt how to make one of the favourite dishes that my mum makes. Sataras is the Bosnian version of Ratatouille and this is my mum's take on Sataras. I love how versatile this dish is. Its best to make a big pot of it and then separate into small containers then throughout the week you can use it to make lots of different dishes. Last week I tried it out a few different ways, the first day I served it alongside fritters and then a few days later I blitzed some in my food processor and served with pasta. Its also great cracking some eggs on top of the warmed up Sataras and baking for a couple of minutes until the eggs are cooked. If there are left overs at the end of the week I blitz them and pop them in the freezer as its a great mixture to add when cooking Bolognese, Lasagna or even a chilli. AND how could I forget, mix with some fried chorizo for an amazing chorizo stew. Have I persuaded try this yet?

Note- In this recipe for speed I use frozen Mediterranean vegetables and chopped peppers. I only use ones that don't have any added flavours, colours, preservatives etc. If you would prefer not to use this then add another 2/3 peppers, a courgette + a cup of cherry tomatoes to the recipe instead.

You will need-
  • Olive Oil
  • 5 Shallots- finely chopped(I use the long variety)
  • 6 cloves of garlic- peeled and finely sliced
  • 5 good quality large tomatoes
  • 2 large peppers- (I used the long variety)
  • About a 1/3 bag frozen chargrilled Mediterranean vegetables
  • About a 1/3 bag frozen chopped peppers
  • 1 vegetable stock cube
  • Mix of dried oregano, basil, coriander, marjoram, bay leaf, rosemary (I use the Mediterranean mix of Vegeta)
  • Salt & Pepper

Heat a tablespoon or so of olive oil in a large, heavy based saucepan on a medium heat and sauté the shallots and garlic until translucent.


Whilst the shallots and garlic are sautéing. Cut a cross in the skin of all of your tomatoes and add them to a bowl. Pour over boiling water and leave them to sit until the skin starts to peel back. Remove them from the water then peel and chop into chunks then add to the shallots and garlic.


Next add the frozen vegetables and mix everything together. (This is the same stage where you would add the fresh ingredients.)

Chop the peppers into chunks and add to the saucepan. Add the mix of herbs, stock cube and season to taste.




Cover the pan with a lid and simmer on a low heat for around 30minutes. Serve immediately or share out between containers, leave to cool and store in the fridge.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...