Saturday 3 September 2011

Flourless & (Slightly) Guiltless Chocolate Cake

Pin It


I made this cake for the first time last week in Wales and loved it so much that I decided to make it again today for my mum's birthday. Gluten/Wheat free recipes seem to normally lack on the texture side but this cake was a complete surprise. I kept double checking the ingredients list to be sure I wasn't missing something but it really does just consist of chocolate, butter, eggs, sugar and a little salt. I actually doubled the recipe the second time around as the original is intended for a 6" pan. Its the lightest, fluffiest cake you'll ever taste, and because there isn't that much sugar or butter you can just about excuse having a second piece. I also hear that it tastes really great after a few days in the fridge but I'm afraid I haven't had any left overs yet.

Recipe adapted from Daily Doses of Sugar

You will need-

  • 180g dark chocolate (I used Green and Blacks 70%, be sure to use good quality chocolate)
  • 90g unsalted butter
  • 4 eggs separated into yolks and whites
  • 120g sugar separated into 80g & 40g
  • 1/2 tsp salt
Preheat the oven to 170C

Prepare your pan by greasing lightly and lining the bottom with greaseproof paper.

In a bowl over a pan of boiling water melt together your chocolate and butter. Be sure to break the chocolate into smaller pieces to make it melt quicker. Stir until melted and smooth then put to one side.

Fill your sink with some hot water and then place your bowl with the egg whites in till its lukewarm. Add 80g sugar and whisk until you get stiff peaks. You don't need to keep the bowl in the water the whole time.

Next do the same with the egg yolks, add 40g sugar and the salt and whisk until it goes pale and creamy.


Pour the chocolate mixture into the yolks and whisk softly.

Start by folding in 1/3 of the egg white into the chocolate mixture and when that has incorporated add the rest and fold in gently. 

Transfer the mixture to the pan and bake in the oven for 30 minutes. 

Once cooked leave to cool in the pan for a few minutes and then transfer to a plate. Dust with some icing sugar.

Enjoy x

2 comments:

  1. Hi Ivana!

    I am glad you and your family enjoyed this cake(: I might try doubling this recipe next time too. Btw, I love your step by step photos!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. i've always wanted to try a flourless cake.

    thank you for sharing!

    your photos look so delicious!

    ♥elisabeth

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...