Wednesday 15 June 2011

Espresso Coffee Cupcakes

Pin It

A few things occurred tonight. Firstly my husband has been out all night working and secondly I realised that I don't have many sweet things on this blog. Boredom always leads me to the kitchen, to either raid the fridge or to rustle something up. I was really craving me some cupcakes tonight so after a quick mental round up in my head I realised that I had all the ingredients I needed to make these beauties. I prefer to use proper espresso but you could use a cafetiere or instant.

You will need-

For the cake- 
  • 120g plain flour
  • 140g caster sugar
  • 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
  • 40g butter at room temperature
  • 50ml espresso
  • 70ml milk
  • 1 egg
For the icing-
  • 125g butter at room temperature
  • 220g icing sugar
  • 50ml espresso
So, preheat your oven to 180C and then mix together your flour, sugar, baking powder and salt. Mix using an electric whisk or your fingers mix the butter into the dry ingredients. When they have all combined nicely then slowly start to add the coffee, milk and finally the egg.



Whisk for a few minutes until you get a nice smooth batter. Spoon the batter into your cases and then bake in the oven for around 20 minutes.


They should be a nice golden colour when they are done and a skewer should come out clean when poked into the centres. Leave them to cool completely on a wire rack.


Whilst the cupcakes are cooling you need to make the icing. Whisk the butter and the icing sugar together till you get a nice smooth consistency. Then slowly start to add the coffee and whisk until you have a lovely fluffy icing. Pipe onto you cupcakes and decorate with sprinkles or whatever else takes your fancy. Chocolate covered coffee beans would be pretty perfect!

Enjoy x

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...