Tuesday 3 January 2012

Blueberry Crumble Muffins

Pin It
This is the third in my mini series of Ottolenghi recipes. Its a fantastic take on blueberry muffins with an irresistible crumble topping. It would be a nice idea to make the crumble with ground up oats which I will try out next time. I halved the original recipe and I'm glad I did because I ended up with 12 muffins and a mini loaf from the mixture even though the regular recipe states that it will make 10-12 muffins. I have a regular sized muffin tin so I'm not quite sure what happened there. The recipe I have included is the halved recipe but of course if you wanted to make the regular batch you could easily double this recipe. 

You will need-
Crumble
  • 75g plain flour
  • 25g caster sugar
  • 50g cold unsalted butter, cubed
Place all the ingredients into a food processor and mix for a couple of seconds until you get breadcrumb texture. Be sure that there aren't any lumps of butter left. You could of course use your hands instead and rub the butter into the flour and sugar but I'm just a little lazy.

I ended up with more crumble than I needed so I froze the rest for next time although you could work the mixture into a dough and then make biscuits from it.

Muffins
  • 270g plain flour
  • 1 & 1/2 tsp baking powder
  • 1/4 tsp salt
  • 1 free range egg
  • 170g caster sugar
  • 70g melted unsalted butter, cooled slightly
  • 190ml milk
  • Grated zest of 1/2 lemon
  • 1/2 Granny Smith apple diced into 1cm cubes
  • 100g blueberries plus extra for the topping
Begin by preheating your oven to 170C and then line your muffin tin with cases.

In a large bowl lightly whisk the egg with the sugar & melted butter followed by the milk & lemon zest then fold in the fruit. Next sift the flour, baking powder and salt into the mixture and fold everything in together really gently. Like the previous muffin recipe, you want it to still be lumpy.



Spoon the mixture to the top of each case and then cover the tops with plenty of the crumble mix. Pop a couple of spare blueberries on top of each muffin and then bake for 30-35 minutes. A skewer should come out clean when inserted to the middle.

Once cooked cool on a wire rack and then dig in!



Enjoy x

1 comment:

  1. Yum! The exact same thing happened to me when I made these muffins - the recipe said it made 12 and I ended up with double the number of muffins. They must have giant muffin pans at Ottolenghi's.

    Have just discovered your blog and I think it's lovely.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...